Sunday, October 12, 2014

I’m ready to die — 90 -year-old teacher

Below is the interview of a 90 yr old teacher who said he is ready to die.. Its quite long, but its a nice one. jus take your time to read pls after the cut



After primary school, what did you do?
I decided to go into teaching; that was is one profession that was very common at that time. My level of intelligence gave me an edge, getting a teaching job was quite easy for me. All the schools I applied to wanted me; It was then left for me to make my choice. However, after my primary school, I spent some time in the village, with the villagers and the Baale(head) of our community, I was there for three years. I was appointed as the Baale’s interpreter. Whenever he needed someone to translate a document into Yoruba, I was called upon. I guess I was the only one that understood the English language in the community.
Aside being an interpreter, what else did you do?
I used to join the villagers in farming and hunting. I loved the thrill I got from hunting. Though I was never attacked by any animal because I was smart about it. Whenever we went hunting, I would walk in the middle, not at the front or the back. I used my western education to outsmart the villagers.
What did you like about hunting?
It was an interesting adventure and the Europeans call it a game, which is very true. The act of killing animals excites me. I also liked eating the animals I killed.
How old were you then?
I was about 16 or 17 years old. We used to use catapult to kill animals not guns which is what is used now.
What was the biggest animal you single-handedly killed?
That was a rat. (Smiles).
After spending time in the village, what next did you do?
I relocated to the city; I then applied for a teaching job at Onibukun African Central School, Abeokuta, one of the schools I attended. I taught in several other schools before marriage came into the picture.
Since teaching was one of the most common professions, was it your passion?
Yes, teaching is still my passion.
Which college did you attend to train as a teacher?
I attended Teachers’ Training College, Ifako, Lagos.
How old were you when you got married?
I got married at the age of 23. I know youths of today may say that was early, but getting married early was the norm back then. I saw no reason why I shouldn’t get married early when I had a good job. Some of my friends who weren’t employed had gotten married; it made me feel intimidated.
How did you meet your first wife?
We met at a gathering, then we courted for two years before getting married, but we separated a long time ago because we were not compatible.
How many children do you have?
I have 11 children; five from my first wife, five from my second wife and one from a woman I didn’t marry.
When did you get married to your second wife?
I got married to her in 1966. We met at one of the schools where I taught. I was transferred to a school to become the head master. She was a student at the school.
What qualities attracted you to her?
I was moved by her level of intelligence. She was very brilliant. I told myself she would make a perfect help mate. I don’t like a lady who is slow. I’m grateful to God for bringing her into my life. She has a wonderful heart and I say this with all humility.
You said your wife was your student, that means you are much older her?
Yes, I’m’ 90 and she is 60.
Why did you choose to get married to someone much younger?
It wasn’t intentional; I was attracted to her irrespective of her age.
What has kept your marriage strong till today?
I think it is because she understands me. It took a while though before we reached that level, the quarrels we had strengthened our relationship. There is no way our marriage could have lasted this long without us understanding ourselves. Even when we quarrel, we forgive ourselves easily. I love her dearly, she doesn’t get upset easily, and she is a jovial person.
What challenges did you encounter in your marriage?
The most challenging period was when I brought another woman into my house. It all started when I was posted to Owode division near Sagamu to teach in one of the schools there. I met a lady and we had a relationship, one thing led to another and she got pregnant for me. When she informed me that she was pregnant, I felt compassion for my child so I brought her into my house. It was only God that kept me, if my wife wasn’t determined to see me live; I would have been long gone. I had two or three sicknesses that could have killed me, but my wife stood by my side and spent almost all the money she had.
Where are all your children?
One is in Canada, the rest are scattered all over the country. All my children are married and are doing well.
How much was your salary back then?
Teachers were not paid well, despite my level of intelligence and even when my superiors commended my good work, they did it verbally; it wasn’t accompanied with salary increase. Almost all the students I taught usually did well in external examinations, but like I said, good work was not rewarded financially. Sometimes I feel I would have been better in life if only I followed my instincts to further my studies. There were times I wanted to leave teaching to study but my superiors refused; they didn’t want to let me go.
Which activities did you enjoy as a youth?
I enjoyed fishing; it was one of my hobbies. I also enjoyed hunting.
Did you retire as a teacher?
No, I moved out of the education sector. However, crossing over to another profession was a bit challenging because my boss didn’t want to give me my testimonial; I had wanted to further my studies. When things got out of hand, I resigned and applied to another school and they gave me employment, the name of the school was National Primary School, Abule Ijesa. I forgot about furthering my studies. After some time, I realised that the money I was earning as a teacher wasn’t enough, so I applied to Guinness Company and I was given employment as a trainee accountant. My nickname was Baba Guinness. The paid me quite well. I earned shift allowance, night allowance, etc. There were so many benefits. I became unlucky one day and lost my job. I was implicated by a colleague who alleged that I took a client’s money when he was the one that took the money from me. After investigations, the management of Guinness decided to sack both of us, sadly, that was how I lost my job. Ever since then, I’ve been doing one little business or the other.
How did you train all your children?
My wife was of great support. She helped me financially, atimes when I was low in cash; she would use her money to offset the bills.
How do you keep yourself busy?
I sleep and eat. These have become my hobbies.
What time do you wake up?
I wake up whenever I like, I don’t have a fixed time because I have no master, and sleep is my master.
What is your favourite food?
I think it is moimoi but it’s not my favourite food. I just enjoy eating it, I can eat moimoi alone for a whole month.
Do you still have friends?
Most of my friends are dead, just two of them left. I hardly visit them though, because I can’t walk.
Will you consider yourself as someone who is fulfilled?
Yes, I have so many reasons to thank God. It is only an ingrate who would think otherwise; that I’m alive today, strong and healthy is by God’s grace. So many times, my enemies tried to take my life but God destroyed their plans.
Are there things you hope to accomplish before you die?
I don’t think of anything, at my age what can I do? Sometimes, when my children want to organise celebrations for me, I tell them not to, there is no need of that. I know deep within me that I have limited time left here on earth.
So you are ready to die?
Yes I am anytime, when God says its time, I’m ready. As a Christian, one must not say I won’t leave this earth, our home is in heaven.
What is your advice to young couples?
Couples should marry based on understanding. Marriage should be based on understanding not materialistic things. If a woman marries someone that understands her, when she does something wrong, her partner would have the heart to forgive her because he understands her. Understanding is key in marriage, it makes a happy marriage.
What is your favourite drink?
I used to be a drunk, if you put a lorry load of Guinness before me, I would finish it before the end of the month. My weakness for alcohol was that bad. Something made me change. One night I visited one of the clubs I belonged to, when I got there, they offered me a drink, but I opted for water, the next day I woke with an inability to urinate and pass out faeces. It couldn’t have been the water that caused it because water aids digestion, I realised that it was an accumulated problem caused by continuous intake of alcohol. I was taken to a nearby hospital but they couldn’t solve the problem, I was then transferred to Ayinke General Hospital and they too transferred me to Lagos University Teaching Hospital. When I got there, they didn’t have a free bed. I was then transferred to a private hospital. After spending 24 days in the hospital, I became better. It was God that healed me because for 24 days I couldn’t urinate or pass feces.
As a retired teacher, what is your take on the education sector now?
The education sector is poor, certificates are issued out freely, and students don’t work for it any longer. On the streets, you see people carrying fake certificates. Parents prefer paying bribes instead of allowing their children follow the right path. Even in our schools, teachers who can’t express themselves are employed, things generally have gone bad.
What is your advice to the government?
We should go back to the drawing board. I also I think there are too many decision-makers in the sector, yet these people are there for selfish reasons not for the sake of our children. Bribery also seems to be common nowadays but in my time, if a parent offered bribe, their child would be disqualified.
How do you keep yourself fit?
I do exercise on my bed because I can’t walk. I throw punches in the air as if I’m boxing someone.
What has kept you strong till date?
I would say God, I don’t have any secret.

No comments: